house museums 2
The Blackhouse, Arnol
Lewis. Built 1880
This traditional,Lewis fully furnished thatched house once sheltered a family and its animals under the same roof. The ruined blackhouse at no. 39 can also be seen, together with the 1920s ‘white house’ that replaced it. Built in around 1880, No.42 Arnol gives a special insight into life of a Hebridean crafting family and their animals, who moved out in 1966, and today it is preserved almost as the family left it.
A peat fire burns in the open hearth with the smoke filtering out through the roof. A furnished 1920s crofthouse is also open to view.
42 Arnol, Bragar, Isle of Lewis, HS2 9DB
Edinburgh Built 1670
Gladstone's Land is a surviving 17th-century high-tenement house situated in the Old Town of the city of Edinburgh, Scotland. It has been restored and furnished by the National Trust for Scotland, and is operated as a popular tourist attraction.
The "Land" sited at 481 and 483 Lawnmarket was originally built in 1550 but was bought and redeveloped in 1617 by a prosperous Edinburgh merchant and burgess, Thomas Gledstanes, and his wife, Bessie Cunningham. The work was completed in 1620. Its prominent siting (on the Royal Mile between Edinburgh Castle and the Palace of Holyrood) and the extent of its accommodation mark out the affluence of its mercantile owner.
477B Lawnmarket,Royal Mile,Edinburgh,EH1 2NT
John Knox House
Edinburgh. Built 1470
John Knox House on Edinburgh’s Royal Mile is certainly one of the oldest. It was mostly built in the mid-16th century, but with parts dating back to 1470. It was described by one architectural historian as ‘improbably picturesque’. It is actually a matter of debate whether the firebrand preacher ever lived there. The building underwent concerted restoration in the mid 19th century and opened as a museum in 1853, run by the then Free and United Free Churches of Scotland, and later by the Church of Scotland.
5 Bakehouse Close,146 Canongate,Edinburgh,EH8 8DD
The Georgian House
Edinburgh Built 1796
Restored Edinburgh New Town house designed by architect Robert Adam, magnificently restored to show a typical home of the late 18th to early 19th century, The Georgian House was a real statement of luxury in an era of enlightenment, for those who could afford it. Life for the wealthy residents of the Georgian House was very comfortable – but only made possible thanks to the long and hard days of labour by the servants. Visitors gain a fascinating insight into both elements of 18th-century society.
7 Charlotte Square EdinburghEH2 4DR
The Tenement House 145 Buccleuch Street
Glasgow Built 1892
At first glance, the Tenement House appears to be an ordinary middle-class tenement from the late 19th century, standing in Garnethill. However, when you step inside, the faithfully restored four rooms appear as if frozen in time and provide a rare glimpse into life in Glasgow in the early 20th century.
45 Buccleuch Street,Garnethill,Glasgow, G3 6QN
Halliwell's House Museum
Selkirk Built 18thc
The Museum is situated in the very atmospheric Halliwell's Close. The narrow, cobbled lane with outhouses, which was formerly gas-lit and was typical of many such Closes in Selkirk, has a compelling history dating back over 400 years.
The museum building itself dates from the end of the 18th century and is part of what is probably the oldest surviving row of dwellings in the historic town of Selkirk.
Address: Market Place, Selkirk
Robert Burns Birthplace Museum
Alloway. Built 1757
The museum comprises the famous Burns Cottage where the poet was born, the historic landmarks where he set his greatest work, the elegant monument and gardens created in his honour and a modern museum housing the world’s most important collection of his life and works.
Address: Murdoch's Lone, Alloway, Ayr KA7 4PQ
St Fagans National Museum of History
Since 1948 over forty original buildings from different historical periods have been re-erected in the 100-acre parkland, among them houses, a farm, a school, a chapel and a splendid Workmen's Institute.
Cardiff, CF5 6XB
Dylan Thomas Boathouse
The Boathouse is a house in Laugharne, Wales, in which the poet Dylan Thomas lived with his family between 1949 and 1953, the last four years of his life. It was in this house that he wrote many major pieces. The house is set in a cliff overlooking the Tâf Estuary. The Boathouse is now owned by the Carmarthenshire County Council and serves as a museum. It is open to the public for most of the year. It is a 10 minute walk from the centre of Laugharne along Dylan’s Walk, passing the Writing Shed which can be viewed from the pathway.
Dylan's Walk, Laugharne, Carmarthenshire, SA33 4SD
Labourers Houses, Tea Lane
Hollywood. Built 1820s
These are original buildings. This terrace of six houses was built in the late 1820s and came from Rowland Street, off Sandy Row, Belfast. They were dismantled and moved to the Folk Museum in 1976
153 Bangor Road, Cultra,Holywood, County Down.BT18 0EU
Number Twenty Nine Fitzwilliam Street
Dublin Built c 1794
Number 29 is Dublin's Georgian House Museum. Visitors take a tour from the basement to the attic, through rooms which have been furnished with original artefacts as they would have been in the years 1790 to 1820. Visiting the exhibition gives young and old alike a chance to experience what life was like for the fortunate who lived in such elegant townhouses, and the less fortunate who worked in them.
29 Lower Fitzwilliam Street, Dublin 2, Ireland, D02 E932
21 Westland Row
Dublin. Built 1830s
Oscar Wilde was born here in 1854. All the houses along that side of Westland Row are now owned by Trinity College,. The internal structure of 21 Westland Row is to be preserved and refurbished in 1850s period style to commemorate the achievements of Oscar Wilde who was one of the university's most famous students. It is also envisaged that the house should celebrate the lives of Oscar's parents who played a key role in the intellectual life of Ireland in the last century.
21 Westland Row , Dublin
Many of the photos containedi n site are original and copyright tracemyhouse. Some have been copied and wherever possible the owners permision has been sought to use them and the ownership is acknowleged but in certain cases this has not been possible because we have been unable to find a link or is an oversight for which we apologise unreservedly and welcome feedback so we can put matters right.
Postcards & Photos
Books & House histories
Church & Parish Records
OUR ADVERTISING POLICY - This website receives no funding or any other form of award and is run voluntarily to provide information to those who want to trace the history of their house. We would like to say thank you to all those who have or will in future click on the advertisements they find on this page. We know they can be a nuisance or distraction and we try to make sure that they are relevant to the information we provide and our readers. However the modest income we receive from them keep the web site going. So thank you.